Acquisition of Circulating Fluidized Bed Boiler Business
Flow Diagram of Power Generation Utilizing the CFB Boiler
Features of the CFB Boiler
Air is injected into the bottom of the boiler chamber and the heated particles and fuel are mixed in a suspended manner. Through this, various fuels are burned efficiently. The combustion particles and gas that rise together are separated using a cyclone, and returned to the bottom of the boiler, further improving the combustion efficiency.
Compatible with various fuel sources
Compatible with more difficult fuel sources such as biomass, low-grade coal, construction waste, waste tires, waste plastic, coal refuse, and paper sludge.
No need for the fuel source to be ground finely
Wires and other materials inside waste tires can be removed smoothly (no need for prior separation).
Controls the generation of NOx
Due to the high combustion efficiency, temperatures are comparatively lower than other methods, controlling the amount of NOx emissions that are generated.
- Compatible with various fuel sources
Profile of AFW and GPG
- Amec Foster Wheeler (AFW)
- Head Office: London (U.K.)
- Established: 1848
- No. of Employees: Approximately 40,000 (as at 12/2015)
- Sales: GBP5,445 million (as at 12/2015) (approximately JPY650 billion)
- Main Business Activities: Engineering Oil & Gas (54%), Clean Energy (28%), Environmental (11%), Mining (7%)
- Global Power Group (GPG)
- Head Office: Clinton, NJ (U.S.A.) –Finland is the design head office
- Established: FW (the original company) was established in 1884
- No. of Employees: Approximately 2,300 (as at 12/2015)
- Sales: USD553.7 million (approximately JPY56 billion) (as at 12/2015)
- Main Business Activities: Boiler (CFB, PC, HRSG), Exhaust Gas Equipment, Operation of Power Generation Plants Number one in the world in terms of deliveries of CFB units
Scope of Acquisition (Business Diagram)
Timeline Leading to the Acquisition
The Purposes of This Acquisition
- Promote growth in the energy business of SHI Group
- Develop CFB boiler business throughout the world
- Secure the technology and brand of CFB boiler after expiration of the current license agreement (to be expired in December 2021)
- Obstruct M&A by competitors